Wednesday 16 April 2014

REGULAR SHAMPOOS AND CONDITIONERS: MY EXPERIENCE

MY NATURAL HAIR JOURNEY: HOW IT ALL STARTED….

As a new naturalista, you get lots of questions but the one that hits you most is always: why did you go natural? For some, they embarked on the natural hair journey just because their friends or icons did it, because they saw it in a magazine and totally loved it or probably because they are tired of putting chemicals in the guise of relaxers and what not. For some others it is simply for religious reasons etc.
For me it all began out of my frustration from having relaxers melt my scalp. I became the girl that neither sections or combs through her hair when relaxing. Relaxing my hair was pure torture which I was willing to undergo only once in a year. I had heard about people who wear their hair without ever relaxing it but I just imagined it was some sort of religious rite.
Sometime last year, a pretty girl walked into the makeup studio where I worked and I totally fell in love with her bohemian hair and in my hair moment, out of curiosity I asked her the name of the hair only to get the shock of my hair life “IT WAS HER REAL HAIR” all natural and relaxer free. After several findings on how to maintain natural hair, I finally transitioned and did the big chop (BC) in August 2013.




BC (August 2013)

MY REGIMEN:
  • I wash my hair with ORS shampoo once in a month and at other times, I use locally made black soap and apple cider vinegar to cleanse my scalp.
  • I condition my hair using herbal essence hydrating conditioner
  •  I co-wash my hair twice a month using balsam protein conditioner. I sometimes substitute the protein conditioner with egg and avocado or I simply use yogurt.
  •  I detangle using monkey brains knotty detangler
  •  I do the LOC (Liquid oil and cream) method by mixing water and olive oil/coconut oil in a spray bottle. I seal using nappy girl pudding or mango butter.
  •  For my hair line, I use castor oil.
  • I wear my hair mostly in protective styles.

I have been able to retain a considerable amount of length and my hair line is really healthy. I have learnt to listen to my hair and I know what works for it and when.



Length check





Happy Fro


WHAT IS YOUR HAIR REGIMEN LIKE?  SHARE TO INSPIRE OTHERS.
#teamnaturalhair#


17 comments:

  1. Hi I just started growing mine and I want to know if it is wrong to wash your hair every day because that's what am doing.
    curious....do u fix conveniently e.g. brads and does it get rough easily?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Joy, welcome to the #naturalhairfam#. about washing your hair everyday, I wouldn't say it is wrong (if it works for you though) but the truth is, you will only just be stripping your hair of all its nutrients. I fix most of the time since my hair stays in weaves but I only wear it for two weeks. I braid aswell but mostly marley twists...and yes it gets rough easily depending on the stylist. but I tame the roughness using ecostyler gel to smooth it. As your hair grows longer, your braids will fit in better. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I don't wanna cut my hair, I stopped applying relaxer nd chemicals to my hair, would it help? Can I gt some advice on d products to buy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @special u can transition but u will eventually have to cut of the relaxed ends. U should completely avoid products with harsh chemicals in dem. Get organic shampoos and conditioners. Avoid constant heat and petroleum products. There are lots of them in the market now and more are being produced. Pls let me know if you have aby any difficulties. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tnxx buh can I get a recommendation? Like d names? So I can just get. Dem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ORS olive oil shampoo and conditioner, Herbal essence hello hydration shampoo and conditioner, aussie moist conditioner. For leave in conditioner, I'll advise cantu shea leave in conditioner or profective mega growth leave in conditioner or mango butter. For oil, I use coconut oil, castor oil, olive oil and palm kernel oil. I also add raw shea butter to it sometimes. I hope this helps. Pls let me know if u need more help

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Ur post is really inspiring. I want to cut my hair but I haven't had the courage to. I just relaxed my hair so I guess I have to wait a few months before I cut it. I really don't know to maintain natural hair and the products you called kinda seem far fetched for me. I stay in port Harcourt so where can I get the products. Please I need help. U really want to go natural. I hope it fits me cos I'm scared of regrets. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank u very much for the complement. If u need courage, you'll only get that if you have a genuine reason for going natural so that whenever you think you are fed up,(cos u definitely will at some point) the only thing that will keep you on track would be the "why". As for maintaining it, you'll have to learn to crawl first before you run. You can get ORS (popularly called olive oil) conditioner and shampoo from any cosmetic shop or super market. Den you can get raw shea butter and coconut oil from your local market. u can also get castor oil from any drugstore around you. Start with this first kay and as your hair transitions, please let us on make up cubicle follow you and be a part of it. I promise going natural is never going to be a regret as long as you have a firm reason. And it sure will suit u. Its ur hair! Welcome to the #naturalhairfam#.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My dear, I like ur blog. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your blog already! Nice hair too

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you very much amaka

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I could go natural too my dear. You are so inspiring. Keep up the good work ok

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I could go natural too my dear. You are so inspiring. Keep up the good work ok

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you very much chidinma. You can if u put ur heart to it. Plus, u hv to get inspired and determined. U can also take good care of your relaxed hair and get better results. Thank u for raading and pls follow me on IG and Google+

    ReplyDelete