Friday 12 September 2014

HAIR ODOUR [H.O]: HOW TO PREVENT IT....




Hair odour or H.O, most is something so many Nigerian girls are guilty of {not that it is any fault of ours} but this is mainly because of our really hot weather coupled with the fact that some of us are “born sweaters” {some people can sweat for Africa ehn} and again, brokenness {as a student, it’s kinda difficult to keep up with having to get school materials and also look good at the same time}.
This post is as a result of the various complains from “so many guys” but the solutions here are mainly for “the ladies”. So, here is the rule…if you know you sweat a lot in your scalp, my advice is, try to wear your sew in/weavon for not more than two weeks or you wear braids more often {braids are more girly anyway}.
Basically, the skin on your scalp is just like the skin on your body. It has sweat and oil glands too. So much like body odour, if you do not wash for a few days, the sweat and oil would build up and the bacteria on you would start to break down and cause a stench.





SOLUTIONS:


  • WASH! WASH!! WASH!! This can never be over emphasized. Wash your hair with sweet smelling quality shampoo before you install your weaves, braids or extensions. Also Endeavour to wash your weaves or hair extensions if you are reusing them.



  •  DRY: Make sure your hair and weaves are properly dried [preferably air dried] before installing them because damp hair when mixed with hair products, can cause build up which would eventually lead to dandruff.



  •  WIPE IT: This is a trick and a really helpful tip. Get baby wipes, use them to wipe your hair every 2days or everyday (If it is convenient for you). This tip Is easier on braided hair but it can also be done on sew-in with the exception of glued/bonded weaves.



  •  NO PETROLEUM: Avoid petroleum products like a plague. Replace all those heavy hair creams with light natural oils like olive and coconut oil.



  • AFTER THE RAIN: If you get drenched by the rain, simply blow dry ASAP with a hand dryer to prevent a volcanic smell in days to come.



  •  UPGRADE YOUR PRODUCT: Upgrade from regular saloon hair products to sweet fruit smelling products.



  • PERFUMED BRUSH: Did you know you could make your hair smell like your body cologne? Instead of spraying your perfume directly on your hair, spray it into your hair brush instead and brush through. Remember less is more. There are hair mists available in some cosmetic stores like THEIRRY MUGLER - ANGEL HAIR MIST or PINK HAIR SUGAR HAIR PERFUME.


PS:
Do not spray on already smelly hair with the intention of trying to mask the smell because hair odour and perfumes do not blend you will end up with a disaster. For the love of all things holy, do not be the girl with the smelly hair that everyone talks about and no one wants to seat next too. Be confident enough to whip your hair back and forth (in willow smith’s voice) in public or at a gathering.

TILL I SPILL AGAIN… XOXO

8 comments:

  1. Hi, just read through your blog and it's bn pretty interesting. I have some questions to ask,and I'd be glad to hear from u.
    1. Pls I always have dandruff and I've used a lot of dandruff creams n all bt all to no avail. Even on my current braid,the dandruff's still there.
    2. It looks like my hair is getting shorter by the day....it breaks a lot too. Btw, I use Dark n Lovely antibreakage hair relaxer bt still, no difference.
    3. Pls can I get Queen Helene cocoa butter lotion cream in Lagos, n pls at what price.
    Thanks. You r doing a great job. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank u very much Debby for visiting. I really appreciate ur questions. Please refresh this page I just did a post on dandruff. And pls stop using all those dandruff creams because most of them contain petrolatum. Try the home remedies I have on the dandruff post k.
    About ur hair breakage... How long do u stretch before retouching? Do u use frequent heat on ur hair? What kind of shampoo and conditioner do u use? Do u deep condition and how often? I'll need answers to these questions to be able to help u better. I'll recommend you get a very good moisturizer or leave in and apply to ur hair. Yes u can get queen Helen cocoa butter lotion in Lagos. The price ranges from #1500-#2000. Pls get bk to me with answers Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only times I use heat on my hair is when I relax my hair and I wanna set it. The shampoos n conditioners I use r d ones that come along with my relaxer kit. I really don't deep condition my hair. And pls can u recommend a good moisturizer. I'm really tired of my hair cos it won't just stop breaking. Its really short now and I do envy people with very healthy hair. Thanks darl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK... Try as much as possible to avoid heat completely and if u must, use heat protestants like coconut oil or hair serum. I'll advice you switch ur hair relaxer to something more organic. Try ORS including the shampoo and conditioner. Try doing protein treatment ones in a while using egg, mayonnaise and any oil. U can switch the mayo with milk or yogurt. Apply to damp hair and cover with a plastic cap. Allow to sit for atlst 2hrs. Get Cantu shea leave in. It acts as both a leave in conditioner and a moisturizer. Never comb ur hair wet. And pls stretch for months until u can see a visible amount of undergrowth before u relax again. Avoid bonding glue. When u braid, put a generous amnt of conditioner on those braids before u loose. It helps it come of easily with less breakage. I hope this helps. Pls lemme knw if u need more info k.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one question Cyndy...my hair itch a lot..goddamnit. I'm a naturalista and so I don't know why that happens...please help

    ReplyDelete
  6. It may be as a result of dry scalp. If dat is d case, try applying coconut oil to ur scalp whenever u feel dry. Again it could be as a result of product build up... Reduce the amount of products u apply to ur hair (am guilty of this one). Try not to let d products u put get to ur scalp. Limit it to essential oils. The heaviest of them should b castor oil. I hope this helps. I'll try to do a full post on itchy scalp soon k. God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks cyndy...I will try all uv mentioned and will get back to u. you r a lovely person

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwwwww. Tnx Debby. Pls do share with us kay

    ReplyDelete